What are the similarities between mentoring and an umbrella?
The benefits of mentoring
I think that everyone could find an umbrella in the house. And most of us carry it around every day, whether in a handbag, backpack, or car.
Well, if you don’t carry it with you every day, you possibly check the daily weather report or look outside the window to check if it will rain or not. If you think that it will rain, you’ll take your umbrella with you for sure.
After all, when it’s raining outside, and you need to get from point A to point B, you probably want the journey to be as comfortable as possible. I mean, no one likes getting rain blown into your face by strong gusts of winds.
The umbrella may not help you avoid the rain altogether, but it can help you feel more comfortable and safe in this situation.
A mentor also won’t help you to avoid the harsh situations (how we can’t avoid the rain or snowstorms) that await when you:
- Changing your job or looking for new career opportunities;
- Creating a business;
- Coming back to your job after a long break;
- When problems arise in the family;
- Encountering a difficult disease;
- Encountering similar situations where you don’t feel good but don’t know how to change it.
However, the mentor can hold the umbrella over your head thanks to his experiences and knowledge!
Even if the weather outside is horrible, it is much easier to travel through it with someone who already has some experience traveling. And with someone who can also lend you an umbrella!
- When we are struggling with something, a mentor helps us to see the situation from a different angle;
- When they notice that we are blinded and heading to a cliff, a mentor can stop us;
- With their knowledge, they can show us a straight path, so we don’t go down alleyways;
- When we feel lost and afraid (because there is “thunder, it’s cold, dark, and there is heavy rain” in our life), they show and convince us that not everything is that bad;
- When we don’t understand something, a mentor give us a question, which takes off our blindfold, and suddenly everything becomes clear;
- A mentor introduces us to other people who could be our next companions in the future.
So mentoring is like an umbrella. It makes the journey from point A to point B much easier!
Have you already started looking for a mentor? 😉